Sunday, September 2, 2007

a conspiracy of writers?

Haven't posted since those first few, mainly cuz I got tired of writing about myself, but I figured I'd punch up a quick entry to express my newest revelation. I was looking online for info about a magazine that's asked to publish one of my short shorts, "spoon". The magazine's titled NANOfiction. On their site right now, they've only got two pieces up, one of which is by a writer called Blake Butler. I'd never heard of him, but I figured I'd check out his website, which he'd listed on the NANOfiction page featuring his work. I go to his site, and it's a pretty basic affair, mostly consisting of a list of stories he's published, including links for those that can be read online. What blows me away is the number of stories; he's got like a dozen publications for the past year alone. A lot of those are short shorts, and most of those are in journals I've never heard of, but it still boggles my mind that he's finding homes for so many of his works. I go to his blog, and it's packed with entries, talking about all the writing he's doing, the readings, the literary type stuff. Where does he get the time? Doesn't this guy have to work a job? The blog features a list of links to other authors' blogs; they're mostly up-and-comers like himself. I start clicking through those links, and seeing the same names coming up again and again. They all live in the Eastern areas; a lot of them publish a lot of shit in journals I've never heard of; a few of them even edit and publish their own journals, and in those cases, they often feature the works of the other people on the list--Derek White, for example, is a dude linked on Blake's list, and he edits a magazine called "sleepingfish", and that magazine features the work of... you guessed it: Blake Butler. It makes me wonder: is this some sort of conspiracy of underground writers?

The idea has me a bit worked up, agitated. I've always been struggling with two conflicting desires: the desire to shut myself off from everyone else and just do my own thing, and the desire to find a community of like-minded people. It seems like Blake Butler, and Derek White, and all of those other dudes, are actively making the community thing happen. And they're also doing a lot of writing. Not sure if that's just because they've got more free time than I do (probably less of a struggle to make rent in Atlanta, where Blake Butler is from, than here in San Francisco), or because they're just more motivated, or because having a community helps them feel riled up to write more. But looking at that publication list on Butler's site makes it easy to feel like he's getting more done. Green eyes of envy, I'm telling ya.

On Butler's blog there's a statement that he'll link to anyone who puts a comment on his page. I'm wondering whether or not I should do it, and dip my toe in his writer's pool.

10 comments:

trevor johnson said...

blake links to people who interact with him. this is true. derek white interacted with blake by publishing his work. blake linked to him after. i don't link to anyone who posts a comment on my blog, but hardly anyone does anyway so it doesn't matter. i do link to writers i like, and writers and editors (journals) who have helped me out.

no conspiracy. just a sort of acknowledgment and respect. congratulations on your spoon publication.

trevor johnson said...

and jesus loves you...

BLAKE BUTLER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
virginia woolf said...

make friends with tao lin

BLAKE BUTLER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BLAKE BUTLER said...

whoever has the biggest tits gets published most, didn't you know? i have EE implants.

brandon said...

hi

blake linked me because i said something on his blog, blake is nice, i get some hits from his blog

most people link to blogs because they like the blog, and a lot of people just like each others' stuff

i think its just people helping each other out

jereme said...

You too can be part of the secret, neo-nazi order of freemason writers.

But in order to do so you must stop using the word "dude".

Ok bro?

mcmfs said...

Ok, bro.

mcmfs said...

Except for that neo-nazi part.