Friday, October 19, 2007

full houses empty hearts

I got my first office job about a month ago, and I'm still getting used to the whole office environment. One of the things that's new for me is the level of chatter. The five of us in my office spend the majority of our waking hours together, and cubicles don't offer much solitude. That leads to an ongoing conversation about what we've got going on in our lives outside the office. I'd never had any real interest in getting to know my co-workers before, and I still don't, but now I've got no alternative.

Surprisingly (or not, depending on your views of contemporary society), the majority of the conversation relates to purchases. I bought this, I'm going to buy this, I wish I could buy this, I bought this but I can't afford it so I have to return it. That sort of stuff.

So these people spend all their day working, and then blow the money they made on random shit, and then they have to work more. Perpetual slavery through consumerism.

No comments: