Tuesday, January 29, 2008

COOWEESCOOWEE 2006


In a previous post I mentioned the trouble I'd been having with a journal that accepted a piece of my writing back in 2006. At the time of its acceptance, it was the first piece I'd managed to find a home for. As time ticked by, I landed spots for a few other pieces, and one by one they were each published, but the first piece still hadn't come out. I called the editor more than once asking for updates, and she kept saying it was on the verge of publication. Eventually, two years passed, and I lost hope that the journal would ever be released. I started thinking about telling the editor that she'd lost her chance.

Finally, after I'd already given up hope, the journal did come out. Yesterday my contributor's copies arrived in the mail. (The picture above is actually for the 2007 edition, which came out simultaneously; I couldn't find images of the 2006 online.) I've only had a chance to glance at it so far, and to read through my own piece. What stood out first and foremost was the number of poems published. There are 25 poems in this issue, compared to five fiction pieces. That's a lot of poetry.

Other than my surprise at the poetry/fiction ratio, my feelings have been mixed. In certain ways I'm happy and relieved that my piece has finally seen the light of day. In other ways I'm a bit irked about it coming out two years late, at the same time as a more recent edition. It makes me feel like there's much less potential audience for the work. Then again, little mags like this one don't ever have much of an audience, so how much could have been lost?

I'm also upset that the formating of my piece wasn't maintained. I wrote it as several separate sections, but they published it all run together, with only two of the section-breaks left as I'd intended. It gives the piece a disjointed, confusing quality, jumping from one topic to another without any obvious rest.

Also worth noting: the editor mispelled two things on the envelope she sent my copies in. The first spelling error relates to my name, which is understandable (lots of people mix up Marcus with Marcos), but the second error is harder to let slide. She wrote San Fransisco instead of San Francisco. This woman is the head of the English department at Rogers State University; you'd think she'd be able to spell the name of a city as famous as San Francisco.

Besides the contributor's copies, the envelope contained a letter asking if I'd like to submit to the 2008 issue. Needless to say, I'm not planning on doing that.

No comments: