Thursday, March 17, 2011

New Testament - Gideons' Version

I've been given three of these miniature bibles in the course of my life. Maybe you've been given one too. According to the text in the front of my copy, The Gideons International have passed out more than 1.5 billion of them. They're more common than colds.

But I've never actually got around to reading through any of the copies people gave to me. I might have flipped them open here and there, and read a passage or two, and that's it. Eventually, they disappeared or got lost. The copy I've got now has been sitting on my desk for months, untouched since the day it was handed to me.

If people keep giving me a book, why haven't I ever bothered to read it? There are a couple of reasons. First of all, I'm averse to Christian evangelists. Secondly, I'm pretty lazy, and I haven't ever found the bible to be stimulating reading. I did get started on the Old Testament once, figuring I'd work my way through to the New, but I couldn't make it past Exodus. Too boring.

Well, today is a new day. St. Patrick's day, actually. And I've got this untouched copy of the New Testament sitting on my desk. And I'm thinking I'll try reading it, and blogging about the experience.

I don't know what's going to happen if I read this. Probably nothing. Probably I'll stick with it for a few days, and get bored, and give up. I'm not desperate to be saved, or anything. I'd be more interested in Buddhism, or something, if I were. And a while back I read the Bhagavad Gita, also pushed as one of those life-changing spiritual tomes, and it didn't do much for me.

But who knows? Right here in this Gideons copy I have, it says "The Bible contains the mind of God," and the Gideons seem to think it's powerful enough on its own--they seem unique amongst evangelists because they just hand out copies and leave the preaching to the book. How can my puny, lazy, mortal brain resist the power of God's Mind, especially if he wants me to be led by his light?

No comments: